Gate Guarding

Gate Guarding

Friday, July 27, 2012

Gate Guarding

Sorry I haven’t written in a few days but there is not a lot to write about while sitting here in South Texas.

I have almost finished up the Insurance Claim for the Storage Theft from back in April. Farmer’s Insurance has been great to work with. Every time I questioned a price that they approved, they have adjusted that price to what it actually cost for us to replace.

There were so many things in that Storage Unit that we cannot replace…sentimental things. We have replaced some things already…TV, Sheets, Shoes, Antenna….things like that…that we can use in our day to day life. We have until May 0f 2013 to replace things to get the additional depreciation cost back.(They paid us a depreciated price…and when we replace an item, they pay us the additional depreciated price, so we get full replacement cost. So if we don’t replace an item, all we get is the depreciated price).

I posted a photo of a bird on Facebook that Mac & I thought was a Hawk, but a friend of ours sent me a message and told me that the bird is a CaraCara. It is usually only found in Texas, Arizona, and Mexico…and rarely in Florida. Click on the name for a link to information of the bird. Here is another link for the bird,

sometimes called the Crested Caracara

DSC_0007

Well, back to our day to day life here in South Nowhere Texas….LOL. We are out in the middle of nowhere, about 14 miles northwest of Yorktown, TX , and about 26 miles northeast of Kenedy, TX.

Things have gone really well for us at this Gate Job. We started out at a gate that isn’t really crazy busy.

I have the night shift and it is usually pretty slow. I don’t have a problem staying up until about 2:00am, but after that I get really sleepy. No one usually comes until about 5am, so I try to rest a little bit…usually doesn’t work because I think somewhere, someone knows…Ohhh she dozed off…I better go out there and check in at the Gate…LOL. I’m so worried about missing someone that I never can really relax.

This time at night I am usually playing games on my iPad.

The crew has been very nice to us. What a great bunch of guys! A couple of days ago they started showing up with meals for us! Now they have brought lunch on Wednesday, from Hoss… Cheeseburger & Fries…

Cheeseburger and Fries

breakfast on Thursday…compliments of Brad…Sausage, Egg & Cheese Croissant…

Breakfast Croissant

and lunch on Thursday from Brandon…Chicken Enchilada, Cheese Enchilada, Beef Enchilada, with Rice and Beans…

Enchiladas

and then lunch today(Friday) from Hoss…Rib eye Steak Sandwich and Fries…

Steak Sandwich

The food has been really good, but remember, I work nights and get up about 1:30pm…so this is more like breakfast to me…lol.

Not sure how much longer we will be at this gate. No one has said anything about when they will be finished.

We have been taking turns going in to town so that we can get away for a little while. I have went in to Yorktown, and then went to Cuero, the closest town with a Wal-Mart and HEB. The Wal-Mart is just a small one..not even a Super Center. The HEB is also very small…no Bakery, Deli, or Meat Market.

I went in to Kenedy on Wednesday to see if their shopping was better. They do have a Wal-Mart Super Center that is pretty nice, but one of the small ones, but their HEB is probably the WORST one I have ever been in! They have no selection of anything…very small and seemed kind of dirty. If I go into Kenedy again, I will be buying my grocery things at Wal-Mart…they have a much better selection.

Well, that brings us up to today….

Have a great weekend everyone!

DSC_0027 - Copy

(((HUGS)))

3 comments:

Marsha & Joe campers4lifex2 said...

Mac and Nette might be bored, and having to deal with irrigular sleeping...but sure looks like yer eatin good :)

Randy and Terry said...

Glad this is working out so well for you!

Bobbie and Jim said...

Not much different happening at your gate, but we still like to read what you are doing or what funny thing happened at the gate late at night.