Gate Guarding

Gate Guarding

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sorting through stuff and old memories...

This weekend has been a working weekend. We have been sorting and packing up more of our past life. This is beginning to get frustrating for me as some of these things have very emotional feelings attached to them. I know that if we are going to start this next part of our lives that we cannot keep all of these things, but some of them I just can't part with yet. We are going to put some things in storage for awhile just to make sure that this is the life we really want to live. I know that we will eventually have a home base somewhere, probably in Texas, so we may need some of these things.

Along with all this sorting, packing, and tossing, we are trying to keep the house in order since we will be having lots of company this next weekend for Mac's company retirement party. We may have up to 20 people at our house. Some will be staying in a motel, but they will still be here most of the time. Whew...

I have been reminiscing today. Jenny, one of our RV-Dreams friends has been posting stories of her younger years back in Tennessee and has reminded me of many memories from our past.

As I sorted through things, I was remembering things from the past like going to the Drive-In on Saturday nights with friends and hardly ever remembering what the movie was about. Listening to K.O.M.A.  on AM radio out of Oklahoma City to all the newest tunes. Buying 45's and listening to them on my own small record player. Hanging out with friends and dragging main street on Friday and Saturday nights...man the years have past. Our grandkids have no idea what you are talking about when we talk about things like this..they say "You did what?"

Lynette 16 years old

So here is a little history of my life.

My parents were both from Missouri. Here is a photo of my mom and dad when they were very young

Dad and Mom 2 for slideshow

and a photo of my dad, my sister, me, and my brother.

Dad Lyvonne Jerry Lynette

I was born in Missouri in the small town of Mansfield. I think that I was the first one that was actually born in a hospital.

Lynette young in dress resized

I went to a small rural grade school called Red Rock School for the Kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd grades. Then we moved to town(Ulysses, KS) where I had to meet all new friends. That was kind of scary. I graduated? from 8th grade and proceeded on to Grant County High School in Ulysses for my Freshman year. There was a  new high school built so we were moved to the new school in my sophomore year.

I remember going to my grandmother's house in the summer for a two week vacation every year. I never knew either of my grandfather's as they had already passed away before I was either born or old enough to remember them.  Both of my grandmothers wore the standard full apron. There were only a few times that they took them off like going to church or when company was coming.

Grandma Milligan sitting in front of house cropped

My grandma Milligan was a very short woman with definite Native American features. She was part Cherokee Indian. She used to tell me stories all the time about her life as a young lady, but I was so young that I was not that interested. I wanted to go outside and play with my cousins. Now I wish with all my life that I had paid more attention. She told me one time that her parents never slept at the same time. They slept in shifts so that they could be aware of what was happening around the house. She said that my great grandpa had hidden his money on the homestead somewhere and that was part of the reason he was so cautious. I was told that when he died, they never found his stash.

She also told me stories about things her parents had told her. About Jesse and Frank James coming to visit her grandparents when father was young. How they had came at night to visit and get supplies and rest, and then would leave before sunrise so they wouldn't be seen. She told me many stories about that time in her life, but I only remember a couple.

She was very superstitious. She would see things and tell you of things that would be happening..sometimes they didn't, but a lot of times they did. I know, this sounds like a movie...but she was really like this.

So Jenny, you have stirred up a whole bunch of memories that I had forgotten...thank you so much for that...I really needed to remember those great times.

Here are a few memories that most of us will also remember..Click on the link and set back and relax.

http://thefiftiesandsixties.com/growingupinthefifties.htm

 

Well I had better get back to work...I'll post a few other memories at another time. I hope you enjoyed them.  I have a habit to ramble on so sorry if this was chopped up too much...

Have a Great Week!

 

Life is a Journey...enjoy it!

2 comments:

Leno said...

Arent memories great.. I wish I could remember more of them myself, I too was not all that interested at the time.

Mark and Dortha said...

Memories are great. Not only do my grandkids have no idea what we talk about, my kids don't either. If you showed them a 45 record they would wonder what in the world it was. LOL

Thanks for taking me back a few years.

Hugs,
Dortha